Saturday, August 05, 2006

My Nan: The Human Thesaurus

Cheers Nan. I always have her to rely on to keep me in check, spell check that is. She has kindly informed me that I managed to miss-spell some stuff, an 'E' instead of an 'A' or something. Anyway, whatever the inaccuracy, my Nan is first to the rescue, the rectifier of bad punctuation, the saviour of good proper English. She has never failed to win at scrabble, which can at times be utterly infuriating. She is a human thesaurus, chuck her a crossword and not only will she complete it in thirty seconds but she will point out errors and indicate possible improvements.

Definition of NAN:

A river of Western Tailand flowing about 563 km generally southward to join the Ping River and form the Chao Phraya. (I wonder if the Ping pongs at all?)

NaN (Not a Number) is a value or symbol that is usually produced as the result of an operation on invalid input operands, especially in floating point calculations. For example, most floating point units are unable to calculate the square root of negative numbers, and will instead indicate that the operation was invalid and return a NaN result. (I don't get this one at all, in fact I got bored reading it, dunno why I even put this in)

Variant of
naan; A flat, leavened bread of northwest India, made of white flour and baked in a tandoor. (sometimes I wish my nan was this nan)

your grandmother (not specifically yours but you know what I mean, one's grandmother if you want to be posh, unless your name is One-then it kind of screws up a bit)

A small, pink, fictional creature (this one's my favourite)




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home